IMPORTANT! Each competitor only gets ONE CHANCE to make weight for their division, so please double check your registration before you hit the submit button to be sure you signed up for the correct division. Also, you will have an opportunity to check your registration information on the Competitors List page and e-mail us with any corrections
NOTE: If you don’t make weight, YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED! NO EXCEPTIONS!
General Rules Regarding Health, and Hygiene
General Cleanliness – All athletes must come to the event clean, well bathed and with trimmed toe and fingernails with no offensive odors. Also feet must be covered at all times while not on mats. Non compliance may result in disqualification and NO REFUND will be issued.
Infectious Diseases – Competitors with any of the following infectious diseases will NOT be allowed to compete: herpes (cold sores), fungal infections (ringworm), any form of staph, viral or other bacterial infections. To avoid embarrassing situations it is advised that you police yourself and your teammates.
Uniforms and Clothing – Must be clean, in good repair, and free from any offensive odors. Athletes should wash all uniforms and clothing that is to be worn at the event.
Long Hair – Athletes with long hair must keep their hair from interfering with their opponent or themselves during the match.
General Rules Regarding Gi Clothing
Constructed of cotton or similar material and in good condition. The material may not be excessively thick or hard to the point where it will obstruct the opponent.
Athletes are not permitted to compete with torn kimonos, sleeves or pants that are not of proper length.
No T-Shirts or rash guards are to be worn underneath the kimono except in female divisions.
Click HERE for divisions.
Note: If you are the only one registered in your division we have the follow options.
1) You will be offered to move up one division.
2) For the master you can compete in the adults division.
3) If we can not find a division for you we will gladly refund you, you can compete in the absolute for FREE if absolute is applicable for your division.
- In all categories the central referee has the authority to stop a match when either of the competitors is in danger of serious bodily harm as a result of a submission and award the victory to competitor applying the submission.
- Cervical locks or neck cranks are not allowed in any category.
- Athletes under 18 (Juveniles) and white belts are not allowed to compete in the open class.
- Wrestling shoes or any type of shoes, head gear, shirts under the gi (except for girls) and any kind of protectors that can alter the outcome of the match in any way are not allowed in competition.
- In children divisions between 5-15 years, when a competitor is executing a triangle and the opponent stands up it is the referees obligation to stand in a position to protect both athletes, specifically to reduce the risk of cervical damage.
- SLAMS ARE NEVER ALLOWED in any age bracket.
These are the new kids rules for 2017. They are the IBJJF rules. The rules are the same for 5 -12. Legal techniques are armbars, chokes (except ezekiel, pulling the head in triangle, arm triangles, guillotines, and anything that cranks the neck or spine), kimuras and Americanas.
***The Buffalo Classic follows all rules of IBJJF including for kids.
Please visit this link for the most updated rules and illegal techniques: http://ibjjf.org/
|5,6 years||2 min|
|7,8 years||3 min|
|9,10 years||3 min|
|11,12 years||4 min|
|13,14,15 years||4 min|
|16, 17||5 min|
|White Belt||5 min|
|Blue Belt||6 min|
|Purple Belt||7 min|
|Women Purple/Brown/Black Belt||8 min|
Please visit the IBJJF website For more rules:
Or for a video tutorial of the rules to help you or your school understand better: